Tackling healthcare challenges: funding competition 30 March 2017
30th March 2017
Innovate UK has launched its latest funding competition, as part of the Biomedical Catalyst scheme. This may be of interest to clients in the healthcare field.
The Biomedical Catalyst has up to £12 million to support innovative healthcare technologies and processes that could help to prevent disease or better manage and treat chronic health conditions.
They are seeking projects across a range of fields including:
• stratified healthcare (both therapy and diagnostic components)
• advanced therapies (cell and gene therapy)
• digital health
• enabling medical technologies and devices
Funding is available for late-stage awards and could be for projects including:
• initial human proof-of-concept studies
• demonstration of clinical utility and effectiveness
• demonstration of safety and efficacy (including phase I and II clinical trials)
• developing production mechanisms
• market testing
• intellectual property protection
• the competition opens on 30 March 2017, and the deadline for registration is midday on 31 May 2017
• projects must be led by an SME either working alone or with others
• projects are expected to range in size from £250,000 to £4 million and to last between 12 and 36 months
• businesses could attract up to 70% of their project costs
• a briefing event for potential applicants takes place on 4 April 2017
Stay of proceedings at UK courts - Coloplast A/S v Salts Healthcare Limited
24th February 2020
Although a stay of national proceedings is the ‘default’ position in the UK, the stay was refused in this instance because of the combination of an absolute right of appeal, a minimum of two years to appeal and the potential of the ping pong effect before the EPO.