UK businesses can apply for a share of £10 million for innovation projects in medicines manufacturing
5th March 2018
Innovate UK will invest up to £10 million in innovation projects in medicines manufacturing to be funded through the Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund.
This competition aims to stimulate the development of innovative methods or technologies to improve the manufacture of ‘novel’ medicines for human use i.e. those that have not yet been commercially launched on the market but may have been applied as part of clinical trials or under exemptions from the UK Human Medicines Regulations.
Proposals can include, but are not limited to, approaches that have the potential to deliver:
• improved commercially viable manufacturing processes
• methods for the reliable and robust scale-up of production of novel medicines
• increased yield of active ingredient
• lower cost of production and goods
In this competition medecines that are in scope and can be used as exemplar products are limited to:
• advanced therapy medicinal products
• natural product medicines
• nucleic acid-based drugs
• prophylactic vaccines
• protein or peptide biopharmaceuticals
• small molecular weight pharmaceuticals
• virus and phage therapeutics
In particular, this competition aims to fund a portfolio of projects, across a variety of technologies, markets, medicine classes, and technological maturities. These may include feasibility studies, industrial research projects or experimental development projects.
For more information on eligibility, scope, and how to apply, please visit the Innovation Funding Service competition page here.
Competition opens: 12 March 2018
Competition closes: 9 April 2018, 12:00pm
Funding type: Grant
Project size: Project’s total costs should be between £50,000 and £1.5 million.